Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Lupe Fiasco

Lupe Fiasco

Lupe and Islam

Lupe is a devout Muslim and considered a leader by many Muslim youth in America.

Interview with Lupe when asked about Islam and his Music: "Well, I was born Muslim, so Islam plays a part in my everything I do, to a certain extent. I'm not like the poster boy for Islam you know what I'm saying? So it's like I still got my flaws and stuff like that, so I don't really wear that on my sleeve. [But] I'm really with some underlying consciousness, no matter what it is that I can talk about -cocaine, or I can talk about carrying guns. I've been literally carrying guns since I was five, like four or five years old, simply because my father was in the military and he wanted to teach us how to shoot. I've been shooting AK's since I was as baby, you know? I don't like to glorify ignorance or nothing like that, but I know you need to – you can talk about it in certain aspects. You'll still get the people who don't listen unless you're talking about nonsense. Catch their ear, and then at the same time, teach them something, you know? It [also] plays on the extra curricular stuff that happens about, about being like a rapper and being in the music business like going to – all right, I don't go to clubs, I don't drink, I don't smoke, you know like my whole – the whole groupie situation is shut down."

When asked about why his album name was Food and Liquor, he replied: “The title reflects on me being Muslim and being from the streets... In Chicago, instead having bodegas like in New York, the majority of the corner stores are called ‘Food and Liquors.’ The store is where everything is at, whether it be the wine-o hanging by the store, or us as kids going back and forth to the store to buy something. The ‘Food’ is the good part and the ‘Liquor’ is the bad part."

His album Food and Liquor begins by him saying "A'uzu billahi min ash shaitani r rajimi Bismi 'llahi 'r-rahmani 'r-rahim" which translates to "I seek refuge from Satan. In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful." This is what many Muslims say before beginning a task. Lupe then finishes the albums stating "Salamwalaikum" meaning "Peace." In one song, "Hurt Me Soul," he begins saying "Astagfirullah" meaning "I seek forgiveness from Allah." In one song, "American Terrorist," he talks about his views on Islam and how Islam is viewed in todays society. He also tries to clear up misinterpretations of 21st Century Muslims. The lyrics to "American Terrorist" can be found below.

Lupe always tries to keep in touch with the Islamic community, for example saying "Eid Mubarak" to many people during the month of Ramadan.

Although he lives a celebrity life, in an interview with AOL Music Sessions he had the following to say: "I've never drank alcohol a day in my life. I've never taken any form of drugs. That culture is still kinda alien to me."

Fast Facts

  • Real Name: Wasalu Muhammad Jaco
  • Convert: No
  • Sect: Sunni
  • Born: February 16th, 1981 in Chicago, Illinois
  • Career: Rapper- Soul, Real Life, Rebel Rap, & Unique

Biography

Chicago-based Muslim MC Lupe Fiasco began rapping in junior high school and joined a group called Da Pak several years later. The group signed to Epic, released one single, and split up, all before Fiasco reached the age of 20. Thanks in part to the vocal support of Jay-Z, L.A. Reid signed Fiasco as a solo artist to Arista, but before anything of significance was able to happen (only a promo single and a couple guest appearances were set up), Reid was fired, leaving the MC without a label. Fiasco eventually landed at Atlantic. Preceded by the single "Kick Push," as well as several mixtapes and an appearance on Kanye West's "Touch the Sky," the album Food and Liquor was set to surface during 2006, though an unfinished version leaked during the spring. ~ Andy Kellman, All Music Guide

Download Lupe Fiasco's "Muhammed Walks"

- (RIGHT CLICK AND THEN CLICK SAVE TARGET AS) Size: 5MB Format: MP3
According to the lyrics this song is offered free: I ain’t tryin to profit of the prophets so this one’s for free

Lyrics to "Muhammad Walks" - By Lupe Fiasco

(Clip from Farenheit 911)

Awootho billahee min shaytaan nirrajeeme bismillah hir Rahman neer raheem

(Athaan)

This is one’s for all my brothers and sisters who died in Iraq, Israel, Afghanistan and right here in America
(Jesus Walks)

Abraham Talked
Muhammad Talked
And Moses split the sea
(Jesus Walk with me)
I ain’t tryin to profit of the prophets so this one’s for free

G’s up along with Muhammad and Jesus
In the Quran they call him Isa
Don’t think Osama and sadaam are is our leada
We pray for peace, but the drama intrigues us
All, so we fall for the illusions of the beast
So instead of tryin to teach we show our teeth
Saying God, different beliefs
Hijabs, Sunday clothes, yamika, kufi, same mission beneath
We all tryin to get to where the sufferin ends
In front of the Most High bein judged for our sins
Can front for the Most High, so the struggle
Continues
You, every bird, bird and tree, me, her and me
We virtually on the same boat
With the same goats, on the same sea
Tryin to stay afloat, and put the devil in the yolk
With a couple of God’s quotes
(CHORUS)

ATHAN
(astaghfriullah)

And to the sisters and the mothers of ours
Who cover theyselves cause they’re lovers of God
The Creator of the worlds, Sculptor of the stars,
During Hajj we walk, through Ramadaan we starve
Though you not eatin, there’s a feedin of the mind
A defeatin of the demons, a seein’ of the signs
A leanin on the lines from the surahs
Getting purer, God deemed it unclean
(There’s no eatin of the swine)
Nor drinkin’ of the wine
We all been to the wind, so I send out a message to my kind
I’m Cordial to Mr Norfull, Mrs. Adam you’re the theme song when I’m battling*
Creb flow, player whats happenin
I can hear the truth in your rappins’
(No)
Sex before you marry
No grudges
You should be carry no lyin
Not supposed to be gamblin’

CHORUS
( I know it sounds familiar)
We all the same man
It’s all a game
The devil hate each and every one of us exactly the same
( I wanna walk like Jesus, talk like jesus SAW)


You know
(uh)
And To my Akh’s tryin to stay on their deen
It gets mean especially when u stay on the scene
And at the same try to stay out of trouble
But don’t forget the blessing’s in the struggle
The Most Forgiving will forgive it if you stay repentant
And hustle
You gotta stay on your salats, your zakats, your Quran
To my homies and miskeen
Astagfurallah,
Allah forgive us all
For we all are sinners
Bless us to be among the winners
When it ends
But until then please strengthen the mission within our hearts
All praise is due to God
(Amen)
Tellin it how it was taught me
I ain’t tryin to sell it can be brought for free
This is how it is
Now how it ought to be
Muhammad talk to me
Jesus walk with me
I hope….
(CHORUS)

Lyrics to "American Terrorist" from Lupe Fiasco's album "Food and Liquor"

Close your mind
close your eyes
see with your heart
how do you forgive the murderer of your father?
the ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of a martyr

we came through the storm nooses on our necks
and a smallpox blanket to keep us warm
on a 747 on the pentagon lawn
wake up the alarm clock is connected to a bomb
anthrax lab on a w. virginia farm
shorty aint learned to walk already heavily armed
civilians and little children is especially harmed
camoflouged torahs, bibles and glorious qurans
the books that take you to heaven and let you meet the Lord there
have become misinterpreted, reasons for warfare
we read em with blind eyes i guarantee u there's more there
the rich must be blind b/c they didnt see the poor there
need to open up a park, just close 10 schools
we dont need em
can u please call the fire department they're down here marchin for freedom
burn down their TV's, turn their TV's on to teach em

CHORUS

now the poor klu klux man c that we're all brothers not b/c things are the same b/c we lack the same color that's green, now that's mean
cant burn his cross cause he cant afford the gasoline
now if a muslim woman strapped with a bomb on a bus
with the seconds running give you the jitters?
just imagine a American-based christian orginization planning to poison water supplies to bring the second-coming quicker
nig*** they aint livin properly
break em off a little democracy
turn their whole culture to a mockery
give em coca-cola for their property
give em gum, give em guns, get em young, giv em fun
if they aint givin it up, then they aint gettin none and dont giv em all naw ,man, just give em some its the paper, then these cops must be al-qaeda

CHORUS(2X)

It's like
don't give the black man food, give red man liquor
red man fool, black man nig**
give yellow man tool, make him railroad builda
also give him pan, make him pull gold from river give black man crack, glocks to teens, give red man craps, slot machines...
Now bring it back

(Repeat last verse)

CHORUS

Links

Discuss This Article

References:

Pop Artist information about Lupe Fiasco
Copyright © 2006 All Media Guide, LLC. All rights reserved.

http://www.musicremedy.com/articles/2709

http://www.allhiphop.com/features/?ID=1319

http://boards.atlanticrecords.com/artists/lupefiasco/forums/a/tpc/f/261104763/m/3001016342

Last Updated ( Friday, 19 January 2007 )

0 comments:

Popular Posts